3-Day Silent Meditation Retreat
“This experience has solidified my meditation practice. I now have the tools and knowledge to continue in a way I had always hoped I could. I have so much gratitude to Samyama for the magic it brings to the world.”
May 30, 31, June 1, 2024
July 11 – 13, 2024
August 15 – 17, 2024
September 26 – 28, 2024
December 12 – 14, 2024
January 2 – 4, 2025
February 20 – 22, 2025
April 10 – 12, 2025
June 26 – 28, 2025
August 7 – 9, 2025
October 23 – 25, 2025
Why Join a Silent Retreat?
The 3-day Silent Meditation Retreat is designed to imitate a solitary cave retreat – complete silence and minimal contact with the outside world to delve deep into the inner world. The group setting provides the feeling of solidarity yet each individual has ample space to go deeply into their own unique experience. Silence is a luxury and the less you speak, the less your brain has to work. The more the brain slows down, the easier it is to enter into deep states of meditation.
The schedule of the day and of the entire retreat is carefully crafted to guide you slowly into deeper meditation and intimacy with your spiritual heart. The result is not only a deep and nourishing vacation from your thoughts but a practical toolbox. You will learn to use these tools to remember your most natural Self even in the most challenging day-to-day moments.
The Retreat sessions have a certain structure; all sessions build up in a specific direction. Therefore full attendance in silence is highly recommended.
What to Expect
The Samyama Spiritual Heart Silent Meditation retreat is a profound experience of silence, self-inquiry, and authentic forms of meditation.
Guidance: You will receive instruction, inspiration and support to help you find a strong anchor in your heart and a sense of intimacy with your most essential Self.
Silence: The retreat is conducted in silence. There is no eye contact and only minimal written communication if needed. This silence helps create an environment conducive to introspection and inner work.
Nature and Peaceful Surroundings: situated in serene jungle and rice field lushness, our retreats allow you to connect with nature and find tranquillity.
Group Solidarity: Though you will not be interacting with anyone in the group, the collective energy adds to the feeling of support. Please note that these 3-day retreats are a requirement for our 200-hour Meditation and Yoga Teacher Trainees and you may be part of a larger group of people who are spending a longer time at Samyama.
Joy: Though silence and many hours of seated meditation may be an austere practice, our ethos at Samyama is one of finding joy amidst challenge. Our philosophy is based in the classical tantric approach of embracing our human experiences just as we do our spiritual ones.
Ignite your meditation practice with a 3-day Silent Meditation retreat. It may bring about profound insights, and at the least, shift your present experience.
Deep Self-Reflection: Silence allows for uninterrupted introspection, offering a chance to explore thoughts, emotions, and inner experiences without external distractions.
Heightened Awareness: As days progress, many participants report increased awareness, mental clarity, and a sense of inner peace.
Challenges and Breakthroughs: It can be emotionally intense as you confront inner struggles or emotional barriers, but these often lead to personal growth and breakthroughs.
What makes this course special?
Our teachers are dedicated and accomplished yogis/yoginis. They all have a solid background in yoga and meditation, and a regular personal practice. They will share their diverse gifts and skills with you from an authentic and heart-centered place of service.
Please contact us if you’d like to find out about the teachers of this course/retreat, their certifications and experiences.
A venue created by practitioners for practitioners
Our beautiful venue, Samyama Mindfulness Meditation Center, was born out of a desire for authenticity and a love of non-dual teachings. Meditation and inner work were the seeds. Love and a dedication to service helped to water this dream. Our facilities have been purposefully designed to support deep transformation, healing and integration free from dogma.
Our unique location is tucked away in a quiet neighborhood surrounded by jungle and rice fields in tropical paradise. We are only a 5 minute drive to town but you will feel far away from the hustle and bustle.
Amazing healthy meals
Samyama Eatery is all about wholesome, fresh, colorful, plant-based food made from scratch right here in our compassionate kitchen. It is also delicious! We offer predominantly organic, locally sourced food. We strive to create a kitchen with zero food waste. We care deeply about the planet and all life forms on it, including you!
Your course fee includes 3 plant-based meals per day, designed especially for this experience.
Samyama’s massage therapists, steam sauna, ice bath and other Healing Center perks are available when you need some extra care.
Our friendly and competent staff can help you with the logistics of life in a foreign country. We take pride in the warm family vibe we create, where everyone feels well taken care of.
Need accommodation or transportation? Our staff can help you find a room nearby and a reliable and friendly taxi driver.
The Yoga Capital of the world
Ubud, Bali has become one of the top destinations for yoga and spirituality. The local Balinese Hindu’s live their practice through a strong belief in karma and acts of devotion – offering to the gods on a daily basis. Ubud translates into ‘medicine’ and has always been a holy center for healing and purifying. It is hard not to feel the strong, yet nourishing energy – like a warm embrace – from mama Bali.
25 hrs of YACEP Continuing Education credits.
3 detoxifying and nourishing vegan meals per day
Tea and filtered water (bring your own reusable water bottle)
- 6 – 8 hours of teachings and practices per day including:
Guided and personal meditation practices
Hatha yoga asana and pranayama practice
Inspiring lectures from a wide variety of the world’s mystical and contemplative traditions
Support of the lead teacher and supporting staff through written communication and Q&A’s.
Want to connect and clarify any questions prior to booking your spot?
About the Offering
Techniques may include:
- The Self-Enquiry method of Ramana Maharshi
- Practices from the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra
- Buddhist practices such as walking meditation, mindfulness and compassion
- Contemplation of Sufi wisdom and devotional poetry
- Heart-based practices from mystical and secular traditions
- Contemplation of Tibetan Buddhist wisdom and impermanence
We recommend that you bring the following:
- A large scarf/sarong
- Comfortable, cool clothing suitable for yoga sessions
- Ear plugs if you are very bothered by noise
- If you want to use your own yoga mat feel free to bring it; otherwise just a sarong to use on the mats at the venue for your own hygiene
Accommodation Packages, Meals & Prices
At the moment we are offering only non-residential packages due to our center being fully booked. However, you may inquire about availability if you would like to stay on-site and you will be placed on a waiting list.
We have good relationships with several resorts within walking distance from the yoga hall that are part of our Standard and Comfort packages. Please inquire about these if you are interested in staying nearby. They are more likely to be available during our busy seasons.
All packages include the retreat, 3 meals per day and a one-way airport transfer.
Standard package: US$555 for 4 nights: Single occupancy in a standard room with shared bathroom facilities.
Comfort package: US$666 for 4 nights: Single occupancy in a standard room with shared bath, kitchen, and swimming pool.
See photos and read more about our accommodation options here.
All meals are provided by Samyama Eatery. Healthy vegan dishes are prepared with fresh, local ingredients and superfoods.
Our restaurant will share its love of healthy eating and living throughout the retreat, supporting your practice in a pleasant and tasty way.
During the retreat, we want you to feel good and at ease so you don’t have to think about meal planning.
If you are staying offsite, we recommend that you stay at the center for the entire day.
To support this deep work, we highly recommend that you avoid consuming alcohol or tobacco during these days. Fasting is not recommended unless you have one regular fasting day per week.
Email us at [email protected] to book a room or add additional meals to your package.
Think you could use a bit more guidance and support once you are out of silence?
We know a Silent Retreat can be quite a deep inner journey and can bring intense realizations, emotions and insights. It’s why we offer “Breaking the Silence Sessions”. This is a 1 hour 1-on-1 session with one of our lead teachers to help you to process and integrate post retreat for only $75 USD. You’ll have an opportunity to discuss your experience and get tips on what may help you get back to day-to-day life with the new insights you have gained.
Please let us know if you’re interested in booking one of these sessions for after the retreat.
Program & Schedule
We seek a balance of practice and experiential knowledge grounded in timeless philosophies. Meditation methods and specific theoretical concepts will be introduced to help you understand the ‘why.’ Inspiring stories, poems, and scriptures aim to create a thorough understanding of each method and make the process even more profound and enjoyable.
Please note that this is a preliminary schedule and is subject to change.
|Days 1 & 5
|Days 2 – 4
|7:30am – 7:45am
|Introductory meeting and final Q&A before silence begins
|7:45am – 8:30am
|Consecrating the silence and morning meditation
|8:30am – 9:30am
|9:30am – 11am
|Theory, introduction to a technique and practice
|11am – 11:15am
|11:15am – 1pm
|Hatha yoga and meditation
|1pm – 3:30pm
|3:30pm – 4:30pm
|4:30pm – 5pm
|5pm – 6:30pm
|Q&A via written notes, Introduction to a technique and practice
|6:30pm – 7pm
|Self practice - yoga, pranayama, meditation, etc
* At the end of the final day, we will break the silence with a sharing circle. Sharing is optional. Once the silence is broken the retreat is officially over.
Deposit & Payment Policy
3 Day Silent Meditation Retreat
Deposit fee: US$85
* The fee for any course must be paid in full at least 14 days before the start date of the retreat. If balance remains unpaid, the booking is not confirmed.
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- A participant is eligible for 100% refund of a deposit if Samyama is notified at least 120 days prior to the retreat start date.
- A participant will be eligible for 50% refund of a deposit if Samyama is notified at least 90 days prior to retreat start date.
- There will be no refund of deposit if participation is cancelled less than 90 days prior to retreat start date.
- Date change without loss of deposit is possible if Samyama is notified at least 60 days before the retreat start date. We allow one date change to save your deposit. Deposit must be used for a retreat offered within the next 12 months.
- In all circumstances, when a refund is made, transfer charges will be covered by the participant, not Samyama. This means Samyama will deduct the transfer charge from the total refund sent.
- A participant is eligible for 50% refund of the total retreat fees if Samyama is notified at least 7 days prior to the retreat start date.
- There will be no refund of deposit or retreat fees for cancellations made less than 7 days before the retreat start date.
- If a participant must cancel after paying in full and cancellation is made more than 7 days before retreat start date, the participant may use their balance (total retreat fees – deposit) to book another course at a later date that starts within 12 months. This means, the participant will need to pay another deposit to compensate for the last minute cancellation.
- There will be no refund of deposits or retreat fees paid for no-shows, unless major incidents such as death or natural disaster. Force majeure incidents are at the discretion of Samyama management.
- No special discounts are applied on early bird or flash sale prices.
- Please note that we have limited residential spots and usually no residential spots are left for last minute booking.
Please contact us if you'd like to find out about the teachers of this course/retreat, their certifications and experiences.
Are we silent for all of the retreat days?
What happens if we speak to one another?
What happens if there is an emergency and my family has to reach me?
Please inform the retreat coordinator that you would like to share a contact number with your family. He/she will give you the number to use. Please pass this number on to anyone whom you would like to hear from in case of emergencies. In urgent cases the coordinator will communicate with you via notes and you can determine whether it is necessary to break your silence.
Will there be others in the retreat, or will I be alone?
If there will be the Yoga Teacher Training students with us, will they also be in silence? or will they disturb us?
All participants will be in silence regardless of whether or not they are doing this retreat as part of a certification program.
TTC related, can we fail the TTC if we speak?
What are the rules for such a retreat? (no devices, no eye contact, no mirrors, …)
What are the benefits of a silent retreat?
- The first most obvious benefit is the noticeable relaxation of the mind and our state of being when we are no longer using energy to communicate. This often brings about a certain level of clarity and presence. With less mental chatter, small moments feel much more rich and an effortless state of tranquility is more tangible.
- Deeper effects may include an opening to love, trust and even spiritual understanding. The methods used guide participants to a greater sense of wonder at what might be accessible to us beyond the limitations of our human bodies and minds. We may face fears that when seen with the light of the heart may not seem so big. This is extremely empowering and can have long-lasting effects.
How can I connect with the other participants when I’m in silence (I want to know who they are, otherwise I feel strange)?
How many hours do I have to sit in meditation?
Can I do this without any experience in meditation or yoga?
What is included in the retreat price?
What if I need accommodation? Can I stay onsite?
If I stay onsite, will I have access to laundry services?
What time does it start and end?
What is the worst case scenario that can happen?
- Meditation is not for everyone. In our experience, past participants who have struggled the most were the ones coming to the retreat with a lot of unhealed trauma and mental health imbalances. In this case, the worst may be reliving past trauma while not feeling supported or resourced enough internally to move through it. In this case we always ask that you communicate with the retreat leader/monitor.
- In the case of emergencies such as earthquakes or fires, Samyama has clear emergency protocols.
- We share our space with a variety of critters, such as lizards, mosquitos and even the occasional snake. This is a part of being in Bali and living closer to nature in their jungle home. If you have an animal phobia, this may not be the right environment for you.
- Other common struggles are lower back pain or physical discomfort from long hours of sitting. In case of injury there may be the option to book a therapeutic massage, but this is not encouraged unless absolutely necessary.
What if I’m afraid to be alone with the thoughts in my head?
Then you are a human 😉 It is the first fear that we all face upon entering a retreat like this and is one of the biggest benefits we gain when we do. The methods introduced in a thoughtful manner, the guidance of the leader, the support of the group and the practice of journaling are all there to support you whenever you feel cornered by your thoughts.
What if I have allergies or specific dietary requirements
Please share all allergies and dietary requirements when filling out your health form. Our kitchen will be informed and will offer alternatives to the best of their ability. They will label all buffet items that may contain allergens.
I’m new to Yoga - will it also include Yoga?
How many people are there maximum?
28 people fit comfortably in our hall.
I might do an appointment in my free time from the retreat. Am I able to do this?
For your benefit, please schedule work appointments before or after this retreat. It’s only 3 days after all. If in the case of an emergency you need to speak with someone on the phone, please have your conversation off of Samyama grounds so as not to disturb the retreat.
Can I also read and write during my silence?
- Journaling is acceptable and encouraged if you find yourself cornered by thoughts. You may have a burst of creativity and want to write a poem or song. We suggest that you notice when writing is activating the mind instead of calming it, or distracting you from simply being present with thoughts.
- We may have a few shared books in the lounge that you can read during breaks. These are specifically selected to highlight and complement the specific teachings presented during the retreat. Please do not read other than what we share.